Volunteer Coordinator (Rancho Los Alamitos)
RANCHO LOS ALAMITOS HISTORIC RANCH & GARDENS
6400 EAST BIXBY HILL ROAD, LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA 90815 — 562.431.3541
The Rancho Los Alamitos Foundation seeks an engaging Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, train, and support its robust team of over 150 dedicated volunteers. The Rancho recently completed extensive capital improvements to its campus and adopted a compelling strategic plan emphasizing innovative program development and long-term sustainability. Our highly regarded historic site is positioned to undertake a new and important role within the region’s historical and cultural community.
Rancho Los Alamitos reflects and invites exploration of the interaction between people and place, culture and environment, past and present to create a greater understanding of the evolution of Southern California and its place today’s world. The 7.5-acre historic resource comprises the ranch house (constructed c. 1800-1933), four acres of nationally significant gardens, a barnyard area, visitor center, and research archive. The site has been continuously occupied and the land used for more than 1,500 years, beginning with the indigenous Tongva people, and the history of the site, as well as the lives of its varied owners and occupants, make it a fitting metaphor for the Southern California experience. The Rancho Los Alamitos Foundation operates Rancho Los Alamitos Historic Ranch & Gardens in a public-private partnership with the City of Long Beach.
Classification: Part-Time (20 hours/week), Non-Exempt Position reports to the Manager of Education & Public Engagement.
Compensation: $20/hour. Benefits include paid holidays, sick days, and participation in the Foundation’s retirement plan.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and organizing the Rancho’s volunteers, providing training, orientation, direction, scheduling, and record-keeping for all volunteer functions. The site’s volunteers are directly supervised by various members of RLA staff who provide additional, specialized training, depending on the individual volunteer’s assignment. The Volunteer Coordinator works with the staff to meet the staff’s volunteer needs.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Recruit, screen/interview, and suggest placement for volunteer applicants.
• Conduct and/or arrange for volunteer orientation and training. Ensure that all volunteers know and understand the mission and purpose of Rancho Los Alamitos.
• Create and maintain volunteer records, including an up-to-date volunteer roster, volunteer job descriptions, and accounting of volunteer service hours.
• Provide accurate and timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation at RLA.
• Work with designated RLA staff to identify and schedule appropriate volunteers for public events and programs, VIP and donor cultivation events, as well as a wide range of on-site and off-site activities. Provide support, coordination, and supervision of volunteers during events.
• Attend monthly Volunteer Service Council Steering Committee meetings. Provide advice, support, and direction to the VSC. Assure that VSC activities are consistent with the mission and purpose of Rancho Los Alamitos.
• Assist with set-up and coordination of bimonthly Volunteer Service Council general meetings. Attend bimonthly VSC general meetings.
• Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events. Plan and organize the annual volunteer appreciation event.
• Design, produce, and distribute the monthly volunteer newsletter.
• In conjunction with senior staff and the VSC, develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service.
• Evaluate all aspects of the volunteer program to ensure effectiveness; recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
• Provide support and guidance for volunteers, including the resolution of conflicts and grievances, performance evaluations, and adherence to RLA policies and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned; some weekend and evening work required.
• High school graduate or GED required; AA or BA preferred.
• A minimum of three (3) years employment or equivalent experience recruiting, training, and coordinating volunteers.
• Knowledge of management principles and evaluation techniques appropriate to volunteer organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, including diplomacy.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
• Proficiency with email communication and in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, and Publisher.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize effectively.
• Highly developed organizational skills with a strong attention to detail.
• Team-oriented, collaborative work ethic.
• Ability to work a regular schedule with flexible evening and weekend hours as needed.
• Knowledge or interest in local, regional, and California history and culture.
Position requires periods of standing, walking, and/or sitting. May occasionally need to lift and carry up to 25 pounds, push and pull up to 40 pounds with the assistance of a cart, operate office equipment, open and close filing cabinets and boxes, and observe visitors. Evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required as necessary.
The Rancho is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities; all staff members must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties as assigned.
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume as attachments to katie@RanchoLosAlamitos.org with the position title in the subject line; or submit a cover letter indicating the position you are applying for and resume to Katie Lowe, Manager of Education & Public Engagement, at Rancho Los Alamitos, 6400 East Bixby Hill Road, Long Beach, CA 90815. Please do not telephone or drop in without an appointment. Visiting and familiarizing oneself with the site before applying, however, is encouraged. The application deadline is 5:00 pm on Wednesday, July 14, 2021.