Program Coordinator (Long Beach Forward)
Reports to: Associate Director, Long Beach Forward
Employee of: Community Partners (fiscal sponsor)
Hours and compensation: Part-time (30 hours per week), hourly employee at $18-20/hour plus benefits. Benefits include paid vacation and sick time; medical coverage; and retirement options. This position is funded through August 2020 with the possibility of extension.
Organizational Background & Description
Long Beach Forward (previously known as the support organization for Building Healthy Communities: Long Beach) was established in 2010 to coordinate the collaborative efforts of The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Long Beach Forward now also provides coordination support to Best Start Central Long Beach, the Los Angeles Regional Census Table, and other local and regional initiatives.
Long Beach Forward currently partners with over 50 community-based organizations and facilitates or participates in approximately 15 collaborative groups and campaigns in order to advance the vision that Long Beach will be a place where race and income do not determine one’s future—it’s a community where everyone is safe, connected, and healthy.
Long Beach Forward focuses on strengthening the power of organizations and community members by providing them with the tools and training necessary to be heard, be influential, and drive real change in Long Beach. We are motivated by the belief that everyone in Long Beach should be able to influence the decisions that impact their lives and the knowledge that oftentimes low-income communities of color are left out of decision making.
Long Beach Forward is hiring a Program Coordinator as part of our work to ensure “hard-to-count” populations are counted in the 2020 Census and support collaboration amongst community-based organizations in Long Beach. Long Beach Forward is one of the regional co-conveners in the Los Angeles Regional Census Table to bring organizations together to coordinate Census education and outreach efforts through summer 2020. Our collective Census efforts are focused on “hard-to-count” populations, including but not limited to low-income families, people of color, renters, seniors, LGBTQ people, and immigrants.
The Program Coordinator will help coordinate and implement activities within our organization and among Long Beach based community organizations engaging in Census education and outreach. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone who is well organized and enjoys 1 working with diverse stakeholders to build political voice and representation among communities historically left out of decision-making.
● Work closely with Long Beach Forward’s staff, consultants, and partner organizations to develop, implement, and support outreach and organizing strategies to increase the participation of “hard-to-count” populations in the 2020 Census.
● Collaborate with regional partners and other Long Beach Forward staff to plan and implement activities related to the Los Angeles Regional Census Table.
● Plan and facilitate one-on-ones, coalition convenings, and internal team coordination to build relationships and drive the planning and implementation of Census related efforts.
● Work closely with partner organizations’ staff and leadership to coordinate and carry out city-wide census outreach and base-building programs.
● Assist with training and support for field program operations, including the use of voter contact technology and reporting systems.
● Build and maintain positive relationships and communication with a diverse set of stakeholders and partners.
● Prepare onsite and offsite venues for meetings and events, including ensuring that all necessary materials are available and set up. Take the lead in cleaning up and returning materials after meetings and events.
● Ensure and track participation in relevant meetings, trainings, and events.
● Ensure all work is performed in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
● Participate in other Long Beach Forward meetings and community events as required.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Experience in managing canvass programs, outreach teams, volunteer coordination, community mobilizations, and/or community events.
● Issue-based organizing experience that includes one-on-one organizing, coalition building, meeting/group facilitation, and delivery of skills- and/or issue-based training.
● Experience working with low-income communities of color and familiarity with Long Beach’s political and social landscape.
● Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, both in writing and verbally, relaying complicated information in a straightforward, culturally, and linguistically appropriate manner.
● Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work collaboratively, manage own work and time, and be accountable for performance.
● Technological proficiency, especially with email, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
● Success in prioritizing and meeting multiple demands and deadlines.
● Access to reliable transportation (car not required).
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Ariel Halstead, Office Administrator, Long Beach Forward. You may email documents to email@example.com or deliver them to our office at 425 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, CA 90802. Applications received by the end of the day (11:59PM) on Sunday, August 25th will be prioritized.
For more information, please visit: www.lbforward.org. Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and seek to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the community we serve.