Operations Coordinator (Long Beach Forward)
Position: Operations Coordinator
Reports to: Administration and Operations Director
Employee of: Community Partners (fiscal sponsor)
Hours and compensation: Part-time, hourly employee ($21/hour, up to 30 hours per week with growth to full-time, 40 hours after the introductory period) plus benefits. Benefits include paid vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision coverage; and life insurance and retirement options.
Organizational Background & Description
The mission of Long Beach Forward is to create a healthy Long Beach with low-income communities of color by building community knowledge, leadership, and power. Long Beach Forward focuses on strengthening the power of organizations and community members by providing them with the tools and training necessary to be heard, be influential, and drive real change in Long Beach. We are motivated by the belief that everyone in Long Beach should be able to influence the decisions that impact their lives and the knowledge that oftentimes low-income communities of color are left out of decision making.
Long Beach Forward provides leadership, strategy, communications, and convening support to multiple campaigns in order to advance the vision that Long Beach will be a place where race and income do not determine one’s future—it’s a community where everyone is safe, connected, and healthy. Long Beach Forward was established in 2010 to coordinate the collaborative efforts of The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Long Beach Forward now partners with over 50 community-based organizations and facilitates or participates in multiple collaborative groups and campaigns, including the role of Local Support Network for the Best Start Central Long Beach initiative.
The Operations Coordinator will be responsible for the management of day-to-day office operations and will support administrative and logistical tasks for the organization and its multiple campaigns. Externally, the Operations Coordinator will be a representative of Long Beach Forward’s values and community-identified priorities in order to build relationships with community members, partner organizations, vendors, and other stakeholders. Internally, the Operations Coordinator will require flexibility and open-mindedness in implementation of protocol and procedures for the growing organization while maintaining our organizational culture. While Long Beach Forward is a hybrid work environment, the Operations Coordinator will be expected to work in-person at the Long Beach Forward office to successfully fulfill all job responsibilities.
Core responsibilities fall under the following categories and may include other responsibilities as assigned by the Administrator and Operations Director.
● Office Management
● Oversee the office reception area and virtual front desk, including welcoming and tracking visitors, enforcing office protocols and procedures, handling and/or forwarding all telephone and email inquiries in an appropriate and timely manner.
● Coordinate all equipment and both physical and virtual meeting space reservations while maintaining internal calendars in a timely and efficient manner.
● Perform clerical duties as needed, including filing, photocopying, data entry, and receive, sort, and distribute daily deliveries and mail.
● Provide logistical and administrative support for community meetings and events.
● Coordinate catering, child watch, interpretation and translation, and serve as the main point of contact with vendors.
● Provide support in maintaining and organizing contract files, both physical and digital files for vendors, maintenance agreements, contracts for services, facilities, utilities, etc.
● Ensure that staff members, Board members, interns, and volunteers are supported in all aspects of administrative work.
● Maintain a positive office culture where staff members, partners, and visitors are able to work and collaborate in a safe and welcoming environment.
● Ensure that the office is organized, clean, and operating in a manner consistent with our organizational culture.
● Proactively take inventory of supplies, snacks, equipment, kitchen supplies, and other products and restock items as needed with an eye towards cost savings.
● Coordinate weekly status checks on keys/equipment inventory to ensure they are properly working and loaned keys/equipment has returned to the office.
● Maintain an eye on the office and off-site storage spaces for repairs, cleanliness, and equipment needs; find solutions for issues that arise, which may involve getting help from other team members or direct supervisors.
● Coordinate any repairs and maintenance to the office building and off-site storage spaces and communicate facilities-related issues to team members as needed.
● Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (standing for long periods of time, lifting heavy loads of up to 25 pounds, etc.).
● Some experience with operating and running an office.
● Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work independently, manage own work and time, and take responsibility for performance.
● Relevant education and/or work experience (volunteer work considered).
● Technological proficiency, especially with email, Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience in QuickBooks is preferable but not required.
● Ability to prioritize, juggle multiple tasks, problem-solve quickly, and meet multiple demands and deadlines.
● Exercising discretion and maintaining confidential and/or sensitive information as dictated by the assignment.
● Strong listening and communication skills, including across differences, disagreements and handling complaints and disputes with neutrality, composure and tact.
● Strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
● Customer-service orientation and ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, both in writing and verbally. Given the population of the Long Beach Forward focus area.
● Ability to build productive and new relationships and work with diverse groups, especially in communities represented in Central, West, and North Long Beach.
● Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, both in writing and verbally, relaying complicated information in a straightforward, and culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Khmer.
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends. (Flexible schedule is required)
● Reliable access to transportation (car not required).
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Ariel Halstead, Administration and Operations Director, by emailing email@example.com. Position is open until filled. Applications submitted by Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:59pm will be prioritized.
For more information, please visit: www.lbforward.org. Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and seek to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the community we serve.