NONPROFIT ACCOUNTING & OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (LONG BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY FOUNDATION)
The Long Beach Public Library Foundation (“Foundation”) was established in 1996 by concerned citizens when Long Beach libraries ranked near the bottom nationwide in per capita spending on books, materials, and programs for youth. The Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization that provides support to the Long Beach Public Library through the procurement of private funds. The Library Foundation’s mission is to provide support to enhance the Long Beach Public Library and encourage literacy and education for all members of the Long Beach community. http://lbplfoundation.org/
The Accounting and Operations Specialist maintains the day-to-day operations and accounting activities of the Foundation. This position reports to the Executive Director (ED), supporting her and the two other Foundation staff (Director of Development and Communications Manager) in all financial, operations, and office management matters.
The position requires an average of 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, and with occasional attendance at events and meetings on evenings or weekends. However, all in-person meetings and events will likely be on hold until the City of Long Beach determines that it is safe to reopen libraries to the public. (Click here to view the City of Long Beach health orders.) Until that time, all Foundation staff works remotely with limited time in the office as needed. Any staff present in the office observes the recommended safety protocols (physical distance, masks, etc.) Once city libraries reopen, some remote work may be permitted but regular attendance in the downtown Long Beach office will be required.
KEY OPERATIONS RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage day-to-day Foundation office management, administrative, and clerical duties.
• Manage external phone calls and emails in a polite manner with the goal of being helpful.
• Ensure Foundation compliance for all operations and fundraising activities, coordinating relevant licenses, permits, and registrations.
•Manage QuickBooks to ensure all financial activity is accurately recorded.
• Manage Raiser’s Edge database to ensure all gifts are accurately recorded including soft credit attributions as appropriate.
• Manage gift entry, batching, and support Director of Development (DoD) acknowledgment process for all donations.
• Support DoD in tracking gifts, in-kind and cash donations, sales, and gift acknowledgment letters.
• Support DoD with grant activities.
• Prepare monthly financial reports (Statement of Financial Position, Profit & Loss, Statement of Change in Net Assets) for board meetings.
• Prepare fundraising and finance reports and dashboards that can be easily understood by non-finance professionals.
• Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at Board and Finance Committee meetings.
• Coordinate with DoD on pledge schedule and reminders.
• In coordination with the DoD and Communications Manager, maintain accurate, up-to-date database lists and reports for all direct mail and email appeals.
• Support the ED on the annual budget process. Notify ED when budget will be exceeded.
• Serve as coordinator/administrator for the Finance Committee. Attend Finance Committee meetings, take meeting minutes, share with the committee and Board.
• Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the ED and DoD informed of all critical issues.
• Assist with special events coordination, including event logistics, vendor coordination, volunteer management, ticket sales/registration processes, managing the event planning checklist, tracking the budget, day of event coordination.
• Additional responsibilities as directed by the Executive Director.
$20-25 per hour, based on experience, plus a competitive benefits package—medical, dental, retirement matching plan, paid sick, holiday, and vacation days.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please write “Accounting & Operations Specialist,” in the subject line.
We will review all applications as soon as possible and do our best to respond to each one. We ask that you please do not call about the position unless we contact you for an interview.
The Long Beach Public Library Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.