Lead Parent Organizer, LBUSD (Long Beach Forward)
Position: Lead Parent Organizer, LBUSD
Reports to: Children & Families Program Director Long Beach Forward
Employee of: Community Partners (fiscal sponsor)
Hours and compensation: Part-time, hourly employee ($25/hour, up to 32 hours per week) plus benefits. Benefits include paid vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision coverage; and life insurance and retirement options.
Organizational Background & Description
Long Beach Forward (previously known as the support organization for Building Healthy Communities: Long Beach) was established in 2010 to coordinate the collaborative efforts of The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Long Beach
Forward now also provides coordination support to Best Start Central Long Beach, We Count Long Beach, and other local and regional initiatives.
Long Beach Forward currently partners with over 50 community-based organizations and facilitates or participates in approximately 15 collaborative groups and campaigns in order to advance the vision that Long Beach will be a place where race and income do not determine
one’s future—it’s a community where everyone is safe, connected, and healthy.
Long Beach Forward focuses on strengthening the power of organizations and community members by providing them with the tools and training necessary to be heard, be influential, and drive real change in Long Beach.
We are motivated by the belief that everyone in Long Beach should be able to influence the decisions that impact their lives and the knowledge that oftentimes low-income communities of color are left out of decision making.
Long Beach Forward’s Lead LBUSD Parent Organizer will lead and coordinate efforts to strengthen and expand the organization’s parent organizing work, which emerged from the priorities of the Building Healthy Communities initiative in Long Beach. Long Beach Forward’s
parent-organizing work centers low-income parents and caregivers of color. This position emphasizes outreach, relationship building, deep listening, and facilitating new and existing parents to develop campaigns and implement campaign strategies and tactics. The Lead Organizer will work in tandem with the two part-time parent organizers to ensure the broad representation of people and issues within Long Beach Forward’s LBUSD parent organizing work.
● Support and expand the team of core parent leaders who organize other parents and set the priorities, goals, and strategies for advocacy and community-building work.
● Support and expand a base of engaged parents and caregivers with children in LBUSD to empower and mobilize towards collective action.
● Coordinate projects and tasks with the two other part-time parent organizers.
● Identify and facilitate leadership development, skills building, and political education opportunities for parents and other stakeholders.
● Assist parents and stakeholders in the development of campaigns for systemic change within LBUSD.
● Work in collaboratives and coalitions related to issues identified by parents.
● Conduct outreach and build relationships and alliances with school representatives, parent organizations, and local community based organizations.
● Other duties as assigned by the Children and Families Program Director.
● Parents or caregivers with a child or children attending a school within Long Beach Unified School District.
● Parents or caregivers with lived experience with the issues impacting low-income parents of color.
● Experience with supervision and/or volunteer management.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish.
● Basic understanding of and experience with community organizing and related skills.
● Passion for meaningful parent involvement in schools, parent organizing, and issues related to economic and racial justice.
● Meeting and group facilitation, including community engagement.
● Listening and communication skills.
● Ability to build productive relationships with people of all backgrounds and professional experiences, including residents, organizational staff and leaders, and decision makers.
● Ability to build new relationships and work with diverse groups, especially in communities represented in Central, West, and North Long Beach.
● Success in prioritizing and meeting multiple demands and deadlines.
● Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work independently, manage own work and time, and be accountable for performance.
● Proficient in speaking and writing in English; bilingual a plus but not required.
● Technologically proficient, especially with email, Internet, social media, the Google Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
● Reliable access to transportation (car not required).
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to James Suazo by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by the end of the day (11:59PM) on Sunday, May 17, 2020.
For more information, please visit: www.lbforward.org. Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner
consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and seek to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the community we serve.