Grants and Communications Specialist (The Guidance Center)
Location: Long Beach, CA
Classification/Status: Non-Exempt/ Full-Time
About The Guidance Center (TGC):
The Guidance Center is a private, nonprofit community agency incorporated in California in 1946. We operate four mental health service delivery sites in southeast LA County, including Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, and Avalon (Catalina Island). The mission of TGC is to provide comprehensive mental health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families struggling with mental illness and abuse, leading them toward a positive and productive future. TGC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision,
403b with employer match, vacation, and 14 paid holidays.
The Grants and Communications Specialist has an impact on the success of the Agency’s development program and supports all sites located throughout Los Angeles County. This position is expected to be a strategic thinker with a meticulous attention to detail. This position coordinates activities related to reaching development revenue goals including grant proposals (foundation and corporate), individual giving and events. The Grants and Communications Specialist supports the mission of the agency by helping to create and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to heighten awareness and philanthropic support of The Guidance Center. This position is responsible for the development and implementation of The Guidance Center’s communication and public relations plan, which includes creating and maintaining agency “messaging” (written and graphic) standards for staff and Board of Directors; developing informative content, press releases, and media opportunities; and identifying, attending and/or participating in community outreach and media events as well as networking opportunities in the community and LA County.
Regular attendance is an important factor in employee’s job performance in order for The Guidance Center to maintain efficient operations. When employees are absent, schedules and commitments fall behind, and other employees may need to assume added workloads. Employees are expected to report to work and on time.
A minimum of two-three years writing and related development experience required. A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field. Previous grant writing experience or Certificate in Grant Writing Program required. Previous experience in nonprofit development, public relations or communications preferred. Excellent communications skills and the ability to successfully interact with groups of people and develop ongoing relationships. Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines. Possess strong writing and speaking skills. Previous experience with the media helpful. Excellent usage of spoken/written English grammar, including excellent proofreading skills. Must be flexible, willing to learn, capable of taking directions and working with multiple levels of staff and management. Ability to attend events within the community which may occur in the evenings or on weekends. Requires some flexibility with schedule as events could be unplanned/scheduled.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in LA County such as Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business. Reliable transportation is required as there could be last minute/unplanned travel for events, press conferences, etc. Travel may also include travel by charter boat to the Island of Catalina in Avalon.
Intermediate-advanced skill in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access or related database management software. Proficient in graphic design software (QuarkXPress or InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, WordPress, or other web authoring program) HTML, video editing (iMovie/Premiere) and digital media technology experience necessary. Proficient in email marketing software. Must be flexible, willing to learn, capable of taking directions and working with multiple levels of management especially in a culturally diverse, non-profit environment.
Duties (but not limited to):
• Work closely with the Chief Development Officer on donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship with a particular focus on grants development.
• Research, monitor and identify grant and sponsorship funding opportunities to advance the mission of The Guidance Center.
• Complete draft, review and submit grant applications and/or proposals (foundation, corporate and federal) to secure funding.
• Participate in site visits with funders and donors and attend “Meet the Funder” workshops and other grant-related events throughout Los Angeles County.
• Successfully understand and communicate the mission and vision of The Guidance Center.
• Complete and submit programmatic grant reports, as required.
• Coordinate with the finance team to process and develop required grant documents (financial statements, budgets, etc.). Maintain electronic and paper files to include research, correspondence, grant applications, and resource development reports.
• Maintain a submission and reporting calendar to track grant deadlines and deliverables.
• Understand basic fundraising concepts from volunteer development to donor ask.
• Research and cultivate a broadened base of sponsors, foundations, grants and other donor opportunities.
• Assist with creation of the content for donor appeal campaigns.
• Manage peer to peer fundraising pages and other recruitment tools.
• Serve as an ambassador for The Guidance Center in the community at individual and public events throughout Long Beach and greater Los Angeles County.
Communications & Marketing
• Work closely with Chief Development Officer to develop Fund Development and PR plan that supports agency’s operating plan.
• Answer media inquiries as appropriate, prepare press releases, media kits, develop media relationships, maintain and update press outreach lists.
• Create a comprehensive year-round calendar outlining opportunities for social media, press and public relations.
• Ensure consistent visual presentation of organization in our and other’s communications
• Work with Chief Development Officer in creating talking points and consistent messaging regarding our work across departments.
• Support development of program materials and other marketing and communications tasks that enhance The Guidance Center’s brand identity;
• Support fund-generating events by generating media coverage, overseeing promotion, and overseeing event-related advertising; assist with slideshows and video, programs, catalogs, and other collateral materials.
• Support management, monitoring and evaluation of marketing campaigns.
• Assist with maintaining, managing and analyzing organizational presence on social media sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
• Oversee the development of annual report, including offsite photo and video production shoots (must be present); and other media/print material projects; assist staff with production of print and digital materials for fundraising events.
• Assist with essential administrative tasks such as creating and sending contracts and invoices and updating database, including managing general contacts, hosts, clients, donors and PR/media contacts.
• May be asked to deliver or pick-up important documents from/to other agencies in the greater Long Beach/downtown Los Angeles areas.
• Knowledgeable in, or possess the ability to learn and adhere to the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof including compliance with HIPAA, federal and state laws.
• Attends and participates on committees as requested and in job-related seminars, workshops, and webinars as required to maintain proficiency in designated field of employment. Participation is also required in program-specific and Center-wide meetings, including staff meetings and retreats/trainings. As a member of The Guidance Center, there is also a requirement to keep abreast of HIPAA security rules, and relevant regulatory body’s administrative, physical, technical and security guidelines and laws as relevant to scope of responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunities:
The Guidance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), genetic
information, marital status, ancestry or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Guidance Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work setting in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally. The Guidance Center expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment and gender identity), sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental including HIV/AIDS diagnosis), pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), age (40 or over), military and veteran status, or exercising the right to any legally provided leave of absence in the application of any policy, practice, rule or regulation. Improper interference with the ability of The Guidance Center employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit resume to email@example.com