Executive Director (Urban Community Outreach -UCO)
Title: Executive Director for a non-profit serving homeless and low-income clients – Part-time position
Urban Community Outreach (UCO) has served the needs of unhoused and low-income individuals and families in Long Beach since 2006, and we are hiring an Executive Director to help us fulfill our mission. UCO runs a Drop-in Center on Sunday afternoons which, when not limited by COVID restrictions, offers food, respite, access to computers, outreach services, and housing assistance to our clients. Even during the pandemic, we have been able to continue to offer meals, groceries, and housing assistance to our clients.
About the job
UCO is seeking an energetic, organized, and big-hearted individual to serve as its Executive Director. This is a 25 hour, part-time position. The Executive Director would serve as UCO’s primary contact with the community: networking with community partners, seeking funding opportunities, and finding additional supportive services for our clients. The Executive Director would also be responsible for the overall management of UCO’s efforts, working with our program directors to fulfill UCO’s mission.
• Ensure that the organization has a long-range strategy to achieve its mission, with consistent and timely progress.
• Provide leadership in developing programs, organizational and financial plans in conjunction with the Board of Directors and other staff members to carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
• Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
• Maintain a working knowledge of developments, opportunities and trends in the field of homelessness with an objective of growing the organization’ s role in the community.
• Maintain a good working relationship with clergy and staff of First Congregational Church (location of the Drop-In Center).
• Seek out community funding opportunities and work with Board Grants Committee to complete and submit grant applications.
• Monitor and complete all necessary reporting obligations required by funders.
• Work with appropriate Board Committees to plan and implement annual Gala.
• Be responsible for the recruitment of personnel when needed, including paid staff and subcontractors. Ensure all required training for personnel is undertaken and completed.
• Provide oversight of the programs of UCO, including client outreach and housing programs and the Drop-In Center, which are run by various Program Managers.
• Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular and timely performance evaluations are completed, and that human resources policies, procedures and practices are complied with by personnel.
• See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
• Encourage staff development and education and assist program staff in applying their specialized work skills to the programs of the organization.
• Maintain a work environment of professionalism, respect and kindness which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people.
Budget and Finance:
• Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
• Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the Board in preparing a budget; ensure that the organization operates within budgetary guidelines.
• Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit successful, ongoing organizational operations and programs.
• Jointly, with the chairperson and secretary of the Board of Directors, manage official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- A minimum of three years of experience managing a non-profit organization.
- Ability to take the lead in finding and cultivating fundraising opportunities.
- Knowledge and experience with grant writing resulting in successful grant awards.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume, a cover letter, and a list of three professional references to Debra.Moore@ucodic.org Application review will begin April 1st, applications accepted through April 8th.