Educator/Deckhand Internship (Los Angeles Maritime Institute)
Aboard Los Angeles Maritime Institute vessels: American Pride, Exy Johnson, Irving Johnson.
Located in Los Angeles and Long Beach.
Our Crew members have a job that is constantly evolving. We get to help the world develop a closer relationship with the ocean, through the course of our discovery based school sails, wacky adventures during summer camps, and all sorts of other public and private events.
Education is a priority onboard our vessels, and not just for the students that we work with. Deckhands are encouraged to learn a variety of skills that prepare them for growth in the maritime industry. Los Angeles Maritime Institute is a great starting vessel and a great place to advance your skills.
- Background in marine biology, environmental sciences, education, or related field
- Experience or desire to work in outdoor education, sail training, or informal education
- Experience working aboard a traditionally rigged sailing vessel
- First aid/CPR, lifeguard certification
Contracted Position of 6 months. Summer Positions also available. The position includes many aspects that vary depending on the season and programming but will include:
- Living and working aboard a tall ship. Including daysails, voyages and shipboard maintenance.
- Teaching during 3-5 hr educational sails. Lessons include sail handling, water chemistry, ocean plastic pollution, mechanical advantage, knots, maritime history, and physics of sailing.
- Carrying out voyaging programs as a watch officer and camp counselor, including snorkeling, hiking, swimming, cooking, playing games with students, teaching navigation, climbing.
- Being a leader and role model during programming. It is our expectation that staff members maintain a professional attitude, work as a member of a team, enjoy working in an outdoor setting, and assist in creating a positive caring environment for all of our participants.
Please expect to work a varying schedule that includes weekends and some holidays.
A combination of wages and a scholarship stipend, totalling $978 per month. Room and Board are provided aboard one of our tall ships. Sea time letters provided for USCG licensing (100 ton, near coastal).
Please email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Los Angeles Maritime Institute c/o Jeff Dwyer
Call 310.833.6055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org