Director of Programs and Strategic Initiatives (EXP The Opportunity Engine)
Director of Programs and Strategic Initiatives
Job Type: Full-time/Exempt
Salary Range: $90K – $100K
EXP is a non-profit organization with a mission to prepare students for a better life by helping young people gain experience, unlock doors and build the confidence they need to succeed in school, career and life.
EXP serves over 6,400 predominantly low to moderate income and first-generation high school students in Southern California through partnerships with leaders in industry and education to prepare young people for diverse career opportunities in high-wage and high-growth sectors. Through participation in EXP programs, students explore career opportunities in business, STEM and other emerging 21st century careers, as well as receive mentorship from industry experts and earn resume-worthy work experience through summer internships. EXP helps communities bridge the skills gap needed for employers to connect with the future workforce and youth to be prepared to compete in tomorrow’s workplace.
Current Signature programs include: GPS Your Future Career Discovery Day, Women in STEM, Young Fellows Program, Summer Internship, Fuel Your Future Young Adult Boot Camp
Current Strategic Initiatives (drawn from EXP’s Five Year Strategic Plan): Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), Alumni Engagement, Young Adult Services, Measurement & Outcomes Evaluation, New Business Development/Fee-for-Service Service Expansion, Organizational visibility and Thought Leadership within career education/workforce development sector.
Seeking a transformational career education/workforce development leader to guide and expand EXP’s programs and strategic initiatives to new levels of impact and outcomes.
Working closely with the CEO and Board of Directors, the Director of Programs and Strategic Initiatives (DPSI) will be responsible for developing and guiding a comprehensive array of initiatives and programs in fulfillment of EXP’s mission and strategic plan. Supported by a Senior Program Manager, the DPSI will lead a team of eight department staff members in development and execution of EXP’s multiple program models delivered across the region. They will be responsible for all activities pertaining to development, delivery, quality control and evaluation, as well as personnel, finance, and contracts related to program delivery. They will actively seek strategic opportunities to develop new programs and build community, education, government, and industry partnerships, leveraging EXP’s core competencies and supporting long-term sustainability of the organization through fee-for-service contracts.
The DPSI will partner with their peers—the Controller and the Director of Development and Marketing—as a member of the organization’s Management Team, in support of the CEO’s vision for the organization. They will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the program aspects of the annual budget in conjunction with the Controller and CEO. They will be responsible for ensuring that EXP’s services comply with all federal, state, funding, and city regulations, certifications, and licensing requirements. They will also work in partnership with the Director of Development and Marketing in sharing program-related strategies, content – including data points, impacts and outcomes – as it relates to planning and implementing philanthropic fund-raising initiatives.
The DPSI will work closely with the CEO and Board of Directors in development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plan. They will be fully conversant in the organization’s operational priorities and able to represent EXP when the CEO is not available.
• Provide effective and inspiring leadership to EXP by being actively involved in all programs and services.
• Partner with the CEO to represent EXP and its programs and services to external constituency groups, including education, community, governmental, and private organizations.
• Lead a high performing team of program managers to the next level by further developing and implementing recruitment, training, and retention strategies.
• Ensure the continued financial viability of EXP through successfully securing fee-for-service contracts and sound fiscal management of programs and services.
• Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the programs and service areas, focusing on data-driven outcomes and systems/process improvement.
• Promote a culture of innovation and facilitate regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations.
• Instill a sense of accountability within the organization by modeling tight oversight of individual and departmental performance standards.
• Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of EXP.
• Prepare and submit an annual operational budget to the CEO and Controller for review and approval, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
• Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the CEO and staff.
• Eight to ten years of professional experience overall, with a minimum of three years of senior-leadership experience supervising seasoned staff operating CTE/workforce development/career education programs.
• Able to bring and develop a strong network of professional relationships in education and workforce development. Able to easily communicate across multiple industry sectors.
• Strong relationship builder and internal/external communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, in concert with and under the direction of, the CEO and Board of Directors.
• Demonstrated success researching, developing, operationalizing and evaluating innovative program models.
• Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth.
• Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group.
• Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program evaluation systems.
• Excellent writing skills and experience in constructing proposals, statements of work, reports and other related communications.
• Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in their work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
• Passionate about EXP’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of EXP to external and internal stakeholders.
• Solid educational background including an undergraduate degree.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Requires a full range of body motion including handling and lifting, manual finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Involves standing and walking. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing.
Position is currently remote; expected to be hybrid. Up to 50% travel.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary range: $90,000 – $100,000
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a highly-effective nonprofit’s strategic growth and program execution as a member of the senior management team.
• Competitive Salary, Medical Insurance, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Time, Paid Vacation, 403(b) Retirement Plan with company match, Flexible Spending Account for Pre-Tax Medical , Access to Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
EXP is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. EXP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
Submit cover letter and resume to Ms. Golnaz Fatemi, Business Manager, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications without cover letter will not be reviewed.