Director of Human Resources (Westside Regional Center)
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
POSTING DATE: January 22, 2019
Exempt Position, Member of Executive Team with two direct reports
Compensation: Competitive With Market Based Upon Compensable Factors relative to requirements
Submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To establish and maintain all aspects of Human Resources including policies and procedures, Employee Benefits and Communication, Recruitment, Compensation, HRIS, Management Support, Compliance with Labor Laws, HIPAA, Workers Comp and Leave Management, Special Events Planning, and Employee Relations, in harmony with the Agency’s culture and goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (* = essential functions):
- To establish all relevant procedures and subsequently oversee all aspects of Human Resources in harmony with the Agency’s corporate culture and goals.*
- To develop, communicate and edit corporate Policies and Procedures in the form of an Employee Handbook.*
- To effectively negotiate and secure employee benefits that are competitive, meet the needs of the Agency’s employees and ensure the effective communication of such benefits.*
- To ensure effective and efficient benefits administration in concert with the compliance mandates of CalPERS and the Agency’s other carriers.*
- To establish and maintain recruitment and promotion procedures that maintain the Agency’s compensation compliance and viability as an equal opportunity employer.*
- To ensure timely and adequate staffing and recruitment occurs as needed to support the Agency’s goals.*
- To establish and maintain the Agency’s compensation plan, including administration of all annual reviews, ensuring accurate position descriptions and each job’s relevant position with regard to regional center comparisons and DDS mandates.*
- To establish and maintain an effective HRIS system in order to create reports and analyze data as necessary for management personnel.*
- To establish and oversee, in concert with Payroll and Accounting, a Human Resources/Payroll Audit control process that ensure the accurate input of all new hire and maintenance data into the HRIS System.*
- To provide support and coaching to the Agency’s managers in all areas of HR, including procedures, compliance, employee discipline, terminations, and general problem resolution assistance.*
- To ensure exit interviews are completed and the termination status of each employee is documented in Payroll/HRIS/CalPERS.*
- To ensure the Agency’s compliance with all labor-related laws through establishment and enforcement of relevant policies and procedures, management training, and, in the case of high risk issues, direct involvement from incident to resolution.*
- To plan and execute special events as requested.
- To function as the Agency’s Privacy Officer, develop and deliver HIPAA training, and comply with all State and DDS mandates regarding breaches of privacy.*
- To provide an outlet for employees for information and counseling in an effort to resolve all issues obstructing effective work relationships.*
- To oversee all employee leaves, ensuring appropriate applications are submitted, timesheets are turned in and mandates leave information is delivered and received.*
- To maintain all personnel files, including the completion of all mandated forms, such as Conflict of Interest, Whistleblower, and mandated reporting acknowledgements.*
- To sponsor and administer ad hoc events to promote employee relations, including blood banks, flu shots, breast cancer awareness events, special drawings, or other event opportunities
- To contribute to a fair and positive work environment as well as the Agency’s positive work reputation by treating peers, superiors, subordinates, vendors and clients with courtesy, professionalism and respect.*
- To perform other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
- Requires extensive and specialized knowledge in all areas of Human Resources as is generally acquired through 10 years of corporate level Human Resources experience in a medium or large company.
- Requires certification as SPHR (preferably with California Specialty) or SHRM-SCP
- Requires strong managerial and organizational skills as is generally acquired through 5-7 years of experience in a management or supervisory capacity in the Human Resources area.
- Requires ability to manage multiple job assignments and individuals under varying degrees of pressure (usually from deadlines), strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to make informed, well thought-out decisions.
- Requires proven ability to work well in a team situation, functioning in leadership, implementation, or any other role assigned.
- Requires exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to benchmark workplace civility and promote a positive work environment.
- Requires strong hands on computer competency, including ADP Workforce Now, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook 2013,
- Experience with Workers Comp, self-funded benefits, learning management systems and HIPAA highly preferred.
- Experience with the administration of the California Public Employee Retirement System, both for pension and for healthcare is highly preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish speaking preferred
Westside Regional Center is one of 21 independent non-profit centers located throughout California, serving as the delivery system for services and supports for individuals with developmental disabilities pursuant to The Lanterman Act and under the auspices of the Department of Developmental Services.
This position is a member of the Executive Team and has two positions reporting in.
WRC provides a competitive salary based upon years of experience, as well as a generous benefits package which currently features 12 paid Holidays; Vacation accrual at 3 weeks the first five years and 4 weeks thereafter; 12 paid sick days per year, CalPERS Pension, CalPERS 457, CalPERS Healthcare selections with generous employer contributions, Delta Dental, VSP, Employer-Paid Life/AD&D/Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life/Accident/Critical Illness, Flexible Spending Plans, and other popular recreational offerings.