Director of Development (Bresee Foundation)
Founded in 1982, Bresee’s mission is to battle poverty by empowering youth and families in Los Angeles with the skills, resources, and relationships to thrive. Bresee serves a densely populated mostly immigrant Los Angeles (LA) neighborhood where youth and their families face multiple systemic and individual barriers to achieving success; said social risk factors include poverty, linguistic isolation, and low educational attainment. Since its inception, Bresee has administered effective after-school youth development activities and has grown from a grassroots effort to a robust data-driven organization.
Bresee strives to create an exciting, challenging and rewarding work environment that allows you to flourish. We value integrity, community, resilience, life-long learning, and compassion. Our retention rate across the organization is 82%; Bresee’s staff is composed of 34% program alum, 80% are firstgeneration college graduates, and 52% have remained on staff for over 3 years. Bresee offers a positive organizational culture allowing all teams to thrive.
ESSENTIAL JOB ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with the Executive Director and Board to create and implement a comprehensive development plan that supports the organization’s mission, strategies, and fundraising goals.
- Lead Bresee’s developmental strategic plan
- Cultivate and manage relationships with corporations, foundations, and individual donors
- Develop annual grant projections, submit letters of intent, grant proposals, and reports to funders
- Supervise the Development team, leading a team of three FT staff members
- Create a plan to expand overall revenue for all funding sources via prospecting, board relationships, and developing meaningful engagement opportunities for partners
- Develop and assist in the design and distribution of annual reports
- Develop and execute a major gift program and strategy, including identifying new and existing potential major donors, creating and executing individual stewardship and solicitation plans.
- Work with the Development team to plan and execute special events including the annual dinner gala with a goal of generating over $300k, board mixer, and corporate volunteer engagement events including annual backpack giveaway, turkey distribution, etc.
- Develop communications plan with Communications Coordinator on effective donor communications and marketing efforts
- Help lead the Board’s Development Committee engaging the board in fundraising planning and execution.
- Provide the Board with detailed and accurate reports to share fundraising progress and success at each board meeting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) credential preferred.
- Seasoned professional with minimum 8 years of direct fundraising experience, with at least 4 years of management or leadership experience.
- Proven success in developing strategic and effective fundraising plans, and executing against those plans to achieve goals and objectives. Experience implementing necessary systems and processes to support efficient operations.
- Demonstrated success at securing foundational grants, government contracts, and corporate sponsorships.
- Strong leadership skills that include the ability to motivate, influence, and guide staff toward the achievement of goals.
- Experience managing development operations and development databases.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and bring fresh ideas and approaches to development initiatives.
- Marketing and communications skill as it relates to supporting fundraising programs and developing donor-specific collateral and presentations.
- Passion for and knowledge of youth development or issues related to social justice and economic/educational equality highly preferred.
- Knowledge of social justice, philanthropic landscape highly preferred.
- Flexibility, drive, a sense of humor, and a “roll-up-your-sleeves” approach.
- Demonstrated poise and presence to be effective with a wide range of constituents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with proven ability to tell a compelling story.
- Ability to develop trust and strong collaborative working relationships with donors, Board, and staff.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to multicultural issues, and be comfortable working in multi-cultural, urban environment.
- Must support Bresee’s procedures and policies.
- Must submit to and successfully pass a criminal history background check.
- Must understand, support, and be able to articulate Bresee’s Vision, Mission, and Values Statement, as well as program specific information.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (not to exceed 1 page) to email@example.com with the Subject Line: Director of Development job opening.
FLSA Status: Exempt
COMPENSATION: $80,000 – 90,000/Annually
BENEFITS: Bresee offers competitive Employee Benefits to our Regular Full Time Employees. We provide health insurance, dental insurance, voluntary vision plan, Employer Sponsored life insurance, Employee Assistance Program and Travel Assistance Program. We also provide generous PTO days that include paid holidays, vacation, sick pay, paid birthday day off and much more.
Bresee is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.