Diagnostic Clinician (The Guidance Center)
Location: Long Beach, CA
Classification/Status: Exempt/ Full-Time
About The Guidance Center (TGC):
The Guidance Center is a private, nonprofit community agency incorporated in California in 1946. We operate four mental health service delivery sites in southeast LA County, including Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, and Avalon (Catalina Island). The mission of TGC is to provide comprehensive mental health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families struggling with mental illness and abuse, leading them toward a positive and productive future. TGC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403b with employer match, vacation, and 14 paid holidays.
The Diagnostic Clinician provides initial assessment and crisis triaging with new referrals to ensure that they receive appropriate provisional diagnosis and treatment planning. Must be able to work collaboratively with all clinical program staff to connect clients to the most appropriate treatment modality (e.g. evidence-based practice, program, etc.). Needs to be able to work effectively with a range of both clients and staff from diverse ethnic and cultural background, and in multidisciplinary setting and be able to work effectively as part of a treatment team.
Works well under pressure; demonstrates ethical and cooperative behavior with staff, clients, visitors, and others associated with The Guidance Center.
Regular attendance is an important factor in employee job performance in order for The Guidance Center to maintain efficient operations. When employees are absent, schedules and commitments fall behind, and other employees may need to assume added workloads. Employees are expected to report to work and on time. Must be able to work flexible hours Monday through Friday and at least one Saturday a month.
Licensed Psychologist (PhD or PsyD), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, or Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the State of California. Excellent psychodiagnostic skills (i.e., writing, clinical interviewing, rapid rapport building) and experience with psychodiagnostic measures (e.g. Ages & Stages, PHQ-9). Experience with DMH ICARE, Adult initial assessment, and Child/Adolescent Assessments.
Advanced knowledge in the DSM, DC: 0-5, and ICD diagnostic classification systems. Clinical experience in specialty mental health setting, brief assessments, and crisis intervention experience preferred. Excellent communication skills, high level of self-initiative, motivation, independent judgment and organizational abilities. Requires LPS Certification or the ability to obtain the certification. Excellent ability to engage quickly over the phone or in person with youth and families who are in crisis. Experience dealing with Medi-cal, Short Doyle and other Department of Mental Health (DMH) programs as well as an awareness of DMH policies and practices preferred. Knowledgeable of or possess ability to learn and adhere to prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding the provision of mental health services, including employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof, including compliance with HIPPAA, federal and state laws and the reporting of child abuse/neglect and related regulations. Knowledgeable of and acts in accordance with Ethical and Professional Standards established by appropriate professional organizations whether or not the individual is a member of any such organization. Bilingual-English-Spanish preferred.
Must be willing to travel to other locations to complete intakes in the field, home, and school. Travel may also include other TGC locations as well as Catalina.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business. Travel may also include travel by charter boat to the Island of Catalina in Avalon.
Computer literate in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel and Outlook. Depending on position within the agency, may be required to have experience in or possess the ability to learn, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access or related database management software. Must have experience with Welligent.
Duties (but not limited to):
• Complete all required documentation (i.e., assessments, progress notes, intake paperwork) by the end of the next business day.
• Interpret clinical information gathered in order to determine the appropriate program (school based, LBOP, San Pedro. Intensive Services or Compton) and treatment modality/EBP for case assignment.
• Complete System Record Log Triage Questionnaire in the call center for all high-risk clients
• Ensure appropriate and timely screening of potential clients
• Maintain efficient systems of client intake
• Provide coverage for other diagnostic intake clinicians as necessary.
• Collaborate with operations team to ensure eligibility and insurance are accurate.
• Coordinate referrals and admissions with supervisor and clinical staff.
• May be asked to deliver or pick-up important documents from/to other agencies in the greater Long Beach/downtown Los Angeles areas.
• Knowledgeable of, or possess the ability to learn and adhere to the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding the provision of mental health services, including employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof including compliance with HIPAA, federal and state laws and the reporting of child abuse/neglect, and related regulations. Knowledgeable of and acts in accordance with Ethical and Professional Standards established by appropriate professional organizations, whether or not the individual is a member of any such organization.
• Is knowledgeable of the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding the provision of mental health services, including confidentiality and limits thereof, the reporting of child abuse/neglect, and related regulations and acts in accordance with Ethical and Professional Standards established by appropriate professional organizations, whether or not the individual is a member of any such organization.
• Attends and participates on committees as requested and in job related seminars, workshops, and webinars as required to maintain proficiency in designated field of employment. Participation is also required in program-specific and Center-wide meetings, including staff meetings and retreats/trainings. As a member of The Guidance Center, there is also a requirement to keep abreast of HIPAA security rules and relevant regulatory body’s administrative, physical, technical and security guidelines and laws as relevant to scope of responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunities:
The Guidance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), genetic information, marital status, ancestry or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Guidance Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work setting in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
The Guidance Center expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment and gender identity), sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental including HIV/AIDS diagnosis), pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), age (40 or over), military and veteran status, or exercising the right to any legally provided leave of absence in the application of any policy, practice, rule or regulation. Improper interference with the ability of The Guidance Center employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit resume to email@example.com.