Development Assistant (The Guidance Center)
Job Posting: Development Assistant
Location: Long Beach
Classification/Status: Non-Exempt/ Full-Time
About The Guidance Center (TGC):
The Guidance Center is a private, nonprofit community agency incorporated in California in 1946. We operate four mental health service delivery sites in southeast LA County, including Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, and Avalon (Catalina Island). The mission of TGC is to provide comprehensive mental health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families struggling with mental illness and abuse, leading them toward a positive and productive future. TGC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403b with employer match, vacation, and 12 paid holidays.
This position has an impact on the success of the Center’s development program and relates to all divisions of the Center located throughout Los Angeles County. Support development activities including donor cultivation and stewardship activities, gift processing, donor acknowledgement, database management and maintaining accurate records and information on donors and prospects. Provide administrative support to the Chief Development Officer as needed. Must understand and maintain confidentiality and exercise a common sense understanding in carrying out directions and/or instructions, both written and oral, and in the handling of routine, problems/situations. Work independently with minimal supervision to manage several projects simultaneously.
At least two years prior administrative experience, preferably fundraising/nonprofit related. Ability to prioritize workload, maintain confidentiality, and work well with others. Good customer relations and interpersonal skills. Excellent usage of spoken/written English grammar, including excellent proofreading skills. Must be flexible, willing to learn, capable of taking directions and working with multiple levels of management.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business. Travel may also include travel by charter boat to the Island of Catalina in Avalon.
Intermediate-advanced skill in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint Publisher, Access or related database management software.
Core Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Assist in the planning and organizing of agency events, including coordination & room preparation for board committee meetings and special events. Provide administrative support for special events.
- Oversee gift contribution program-by processing, acknowledgement, and data entry of gifts and contributions as well as donor cultivation and stewardship activities. Ensure IRS compliance.
- Maintain/update agency’s Donor Perfect donor database, departmental filing system and perform database maintenance and clean-up projects to improve data integrity and database performance.
- Assist with final preparation of grant proposals, including but not limited to copying and mailing proposals.
- Handle all administrative functions for the department, including telephones, process and respond to department mail, inter-office correspondence, print collateral inventory, photo archives, and review invoice payments. Compose and/or type correspondence, reports, and other documents. Perform mail merges and assist with solicitation and other department mailings.
- Provide support for the Fund Development and Community Relations Committee of the Board of Directors by coordinating meetings, transcribing and distributing minutes, as well as other meetings as requested.
- Schedule appointments for Chief Development Officer as needed.
- Provides backup support for designated administrative staff. Manage/create various types of reports as directed.
- Track department expenses and assist with budget reconciliation.
Equal Employment Opportunities:
The Guidance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), genetic information, marital status, ancestry or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Guidance Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work setting in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
The Guidance Center expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment and gender identity), sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental including HIV/AIDS diagnosis), pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), age (40 or over), military and veteran status, or exercising the right to any legally provided leave of absence in the application of any policy, practice, rule or regulation. Improper interference with the ability of The Guidance Center employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org