Development and Grants Manager (Casa Youth Shelter)
The primary responsibilities of the Development and Grants Manager are to drive the grants identification, solicitation, and reporting program for CYS, managing a portfolio of foundation, corporate, organization, and public funder relationships. As a part of these responsibilities, the position must write high quality, persuasive proposals and reports to help meet all application, renewal, and reporting criteria for public and private fundraising for unrestricted operating funding, as well as restricted projects.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development and Grants Manager participates as an integral member of the CYS management team and works as part of our external relations team to implement key development and funding strategies to sustain our $1.7 million annual budget and increase awareness of CYS’s services with private and public funding sources. This position requires a wide variety of skills, including writing, public speaking, and community relations, with the goal of building strong relationships with key stakeholders. As a part of the CYS external relations team, the Development and Grants Manager will also have a role in larger message development, solicitation campaigns, and donor cultivation and stewardship activities.
Qualified candidates must possess excellent written and oral communication and critical thinking skills. They should be comfortable with swiftly changing priorities and know how to efficiently meet multiple deadlines. They will have superior project management abilities; be comfortable giving in-person tours and speaking at donor engagements; have a high level of professionalism and discretion with all stakeholders, including donors, CYS residents and their families; and have a high interest in learning about philanthropic trends and best practices. They will be flexible, highly collaborative, and be able to work well under pressure. They will bring their experience in development and grants work to help develop funder strategies in order to sustain CYS’s growing programs.
This position may be primarily remote, with weekly onsite meetings and work evenings and weekends as needed.
• Write, submit and manage grant proposals, including letters, proposals, and budgets
• Manage and maintain an aggressive grants calendar, ensuring the timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and other reporting and management documents as required
• Provide timely reporting data for all grants, including progress reports, financial reporting, data collection from programs, and special reports as required
• Proofread funding documents and provide input for general development appeals
• Establish and maintain current information, contacts, and relationships with funder representatives and program officers
• Work with Director of Development to conduct prospect research
• Prioritize to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental materials required for proposals
• Manage donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship for portfolio of funder relationships
• Work with Programs, Development Department, Administration, and the Board of Directors to provide current program data, and regional statistics for grant content
• Research data for populations served including needs, trends, and other resources in the area
• Serve as an energetic and articulate spokesperson for CYS in the community; provide tours (in-person and virtual), presentations, and arrange site visits; and speak on behalf of CYS as needed
• Accurately represent CYS history, mission, programs, impact, and financial needs
• Participate in Board, Committee, and Staff activities as requested by the Director of Development and Executive Director
• Minimum of three-years professional experience with grant writing and grant management preferred, with other experience in nonprofit fundraising highly valued
• Fundamental understanding of nonprofit budgeting, case for support development, and fundraising cycle required
• Bachelor’s degree is required
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is required; experience with DonorPerfect and Grantseeker a plus
• Experience and high comfort-level working in deadline-driven environments
• Able to excel in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
• Able to monitor and meet income goals
• Understanding of principles regarding confidentiality and security of constituent and client information
• Available to work occasional evenings, weekends, and early mornings
• Must pass a full background check from the FBI and California Community Care Licensing
• Must provide educational transcripts, evidence of healthcare clearance, recent negative TB test, current positive DMV driving record, and proof of insurance coverage
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position. We anticipate a starting salary in the range of $58,000-$64,000, depending on qualifications, with the following benefits:
• Medical, dental, and life insurance (up to 100% of employee premium paid based on selected coverage)
• Aflac and 403b options available
• 11 paid holidays, plus a personal day for one’s birthday
• Three weeks paid time off (increasing to five weeks based on years of service)
Casa Youth Shelter is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply. We value the individuals we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.
How to Apply
Casa Youth Shelter welcomes applications from qualified candidates. Please email a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Development and Grants Manager Application” in the subject line. Review of qualifications will begin on July 16, 2021.
Casa Youth Shelter serves and nurtures youth in crisis with shelter, counseling, and support services, empowering them to come through their crisis with increased confidence, stability, and tools for continued growth. We envision a community where all adolescents in crisis have a safe place to stay, in an environment that promotes personal growth and healthy relationships.
For over 43 years, Casa Youth Shelter (CYS) has successfully provided immediate care, shelter, and mental health services to youth in crisis and their families. CYS provides 24/7, year-round emergency shelter care to youth, ages 12 to 17, experiencing homelessness, abuse, and other crises. We also provide non-residential counseling services to youth and their families facing a breakdown in family dynamics or other interpersonal crises causing significant personal challenges. Our program includes 12 licensed beds in a homelike setting, daily home-cooked meals, professional counseling (individual, family and group), life skills lessons, tutoring, aftercare counseling, expressive therapies, parenting classes for the youth’s parents, and case management services to assist with housing, food, employment, and educational needs. On exit, residents receive aftercare counseling (individual and family) and continued access to parenting classes, a teen drop-in group, and case management services for at least three months, and up to one-year post-exit. We welcome youth and their families regardless of where they are from, however our primary catchment areas include cities throughout Orange and Los Angeles Counties where poverty and homelessness are prevalent. We are located in Los Alamitos, CA.