Communications Manager (COMPOUND)
Compound, a new cultural space opening in Long Beach in 2020, seeks an energetic, experienced, hands-on innovator to fill the inaugural role of Communications Manager (CM). Compound is in its start-up phase with a mission to be a creative hub where art, wellness, and social engagement meet. Our holistic approach to programming includes a wide range of events, classes, and workshops, contemporary art exhibitions, healthy food and drinks, and a shop—all of which reinforce our values of creating connections, building a sense of belonging, and supporting growth. Driven by the belief that culture shifts consciousness, our purpose is to promote cultural equity by creating a welcoming, inclusive space where joy, empathy, and change can thrive.
The CM plays a crucial role in the ultimate success of the center and will be responsible for helping determine how to launch the project into the public realm. The CM will manage staff, consultants, and a significant marketing budget. S/he will be expected to shepherd the brand into fruition and create the ability to communicate well beyond expectations, including interpersonal communication, marketing, PR, digital strategies, and other forms of creative engagement. All marketing and communications strategies pursued must be sustainable, pragmatic, and create opportunities to build and maintain connections with diverse audiences. The CM will be mindful of the diverse socioeconomic barriers that keep some audiences from engaging in contemporary art and culture. Within this inclusive space, the CM will aspire to consistently attract an audience that reflects the diversity of Long Beach and beyond.
As this is a new organization, each team member will have an opportunity to assist in defining and refining their mission and strategic goals as well as the tactics to accomplish them. This includes collaborating with other team members to engage and partner with artists, individuals, and nonprofits serving the local community, local businesses, community members, and patrons to ensure that the organization is sustained as a valuable asset within Long Beach and greater Los Angeles.
- Work closely with the ED and Founder to define audience objectives and create strategies to accomplish those objectives.
- Develop and manage marketing budget.
- Develop and implement integrated marketing plans for exhibitions, public programs, and events. Provide periodic reports and overviews to institutional leadership.
- Create a consistent brand profile across all marketing, media relations, and communications platforms.
- Collaborate with Compound Editor and generate and/or edit print and electronic communications that maintain the standards for writing, including tone, voice, and style.
- Implement alternative and online strategies: web-based promotions, social media, relational marketing, mobile systems, innovative partnerships, and collaborative efforts.
- Execute effective local and regional media engagement and expand beyond to include national media coverage for exhibitions and programs, including a major public relations campaign for the opening of Compound.
- Serve as primary liaison with media sponsor, producing releases, alerts, interviews, and pitches in print, on-air, and online.
- Manage on-the-ground logistics and provide advance staffing at public relations events and presentations.
- Oversee copy and creative development of marketing campaigns and collateral materials.
- Manage websites, social media, and mass email lists, ensuring timely and consistent communications.
- Assist in initiating special marketing initiatives, in collaboration with Compound staff that realize programs, the shop, and food and beverage.
- Collaborate with the audience engagement staff, visitor services, and group sales to manage and respond to all visitor comments and complaints in a timely manner.
- Assist the ED and Founder with messaging, crisis management, external affairs, and neighbor relations.
- With other staff, track attendance metrics, tracking and analysis, and audience survey planning, execution, and interpretation.
- Implement and manage online tools for evaluation of websites and social media.
- Manage marketing interns and volunteers.
- Collaborate with other team members to produce special events, including opening events.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned by the ED.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated success in planning and conducting major marketing and communications campaigns and expanding market reach.
- Knowledge of general consumer marketing strategy, campaign execution, and branding.
- Knowledge of website development, search engine optimization, pay-per-click advertising, social media, and email campaign management.
- Political, analytical, and negotiation skills required to manage in a fast-paced, complex, energetic, and changing environment. Sound judgment and superior problem-solving ability.
- Excellent strategic and critical thinking skills: Ability to analyze data, capitalize on information, reflect, develop, and implement strategic programming and marketing initiatives and plans.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and listening skills, and the ability to communicate persuasively and dynamically about Compound and its programs.
- Manage CRM system as it relates to mass email lists and communications.
- Consistent drive and ability to take ideas from vision to implementation.
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for the intersection of contemporary art and performance, culture, community engagement, and wellness; with a specific interest in understanding intersectionality and contemporary social issues.
- Strong time management skills: well-organized and deadline-oriented, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through; able to work both in unstructured and planned environments, and in situations where rapid response and instant decision making is required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with five or more years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- Experience in a cultural or other nonprofit institution a plus.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and a 401k retirement savings plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Long Beach in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We believe that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
To Apply Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com