Communications Intern (Historical Society of Long Beach)
Job Title: Communications Intern
Hours: 10 hours/week
Dates of Internship: 17 consecutive weeks between August 19, 2019 — December 24, 2019
Application Deadline: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled students during the Fall 2019 semester at either:
• California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) either as a College of the Arts upper division
undergraduate student or graduate level student
• Or Long Beach City College student who demonstrates significant success in arts coursework and
has completed at least 20 units in an arts related field.
Students may participate in Creative Long Beach for a max of two semesters. As an intern, there are 3 mandatory intern events you will have to attend.
Position Description: The Communications Intern will learn about artifacts, photographs, and paper-based collections at the Historical Society of Long Beach and develop and implement a creative campaign to share select stories with the public. Existing and new video and audio recordings will be used to promote the Historical Cemetery Tour. Photographs, maps, and didactic text from a new exhibition, Water Changes Everything will be used to create promotional pieces for the show. Another activity the Intern will participate in is discussing visual exhibitions with community members who visit the Historical Society of Long Beach’s museum and archive. The intern will be exposed to many aspects of museum and nonprofit work while learning the importance of arts and culture in Long Beach. The Communications Intern is responsible for creating several 30 and 60 second video clips promoting Historical Society of Long Beach programs and local history.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of film editing, digital audio recording, and video equipment, Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with design or arts background
- Understanding of social media and electronic communication strategies
- An interest in local history
Submission: Submit a resume and unofficial transcripts. Please email all application materials to JulieB@hslb.org email by Sunday, June 9, 2019, 11:59 p.m. All college students regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability who meet the above criteria are eligible to apply.