Chief Operating Officer (Compound)
Long Beach, CA
Compound is a cultural and creative complex fostering the intersection of contemporary art, wellness and community impact.
Compound’s approach is holistic and includes multiple entry points for engagement. We conceived public programming ranging from contemporary art exhibitions and immersive experiences, classes, and workshops in the healing arts, performances, dining, and a location to wander and reflect—all an effort to promote our values of creating connections, belonging, and fostering curiosity and growth
We are driven by the belief that culture shifts consciousness. Culture provides a safe context to reexamine ourselves, purpose and bettering our communities.
During the crucial stage of startup and launch, Compound seeks a Chief Operating Officer (“COO”). The COO plays a vital role in the ultimate success of Compound’s introduction to the public and its establishment as a sustainable organization. As part of the leadership team, the position requires the capacity to collaborate with the Founder to infuse an entrepreneurial spirit that identifies opportunities for Compound. The COO will help create and maintain strategic relationships with sponsors, donors, business partners, local talent, staff, and volunteers—all with the intention of creating a significant social impact.
The principal responsibilities of the COO include managing Compound’s business operations and development, including the finance and communications teams. All funding and communications strategies pursued must be creative, sustainable, pragmatic, and create opportunities to build and maintain connections with diverse audiences. The COO will be mindful of the various socioeconomic barriers that keep some audiences from engaging in contemporary art and culture. Within this inclusive space, the COO will aspire to consistently attract an audience that reflects the diversity of Long Beach and beyond. The position reports to the Founder and is a full-time, exempt position.
- Produce long-term strategic development and operating plans incorporating diverse fundraising tactics, including sponsorships, grants, major donor cultivation, and special events.
- Prepare comprehensive organizational budgets, including revenue forecasting, modeling, and fundraising plans. Oversee cross-departmental expense reports with the Founder
- Apply business analysis to all Compound enterprises that have financial impact: ticket sales, rentals, food and beverage, and shop and provide guidance to ensure success of marketing strategies and budgets.
- Engage with legal, accounting, insurance and tax advisors to support start-up and ongoing business operations.
- Collaborate with the Founder to craft and maintain consistent branding, marketing, and public relations across all platforms.
- Create comprehensive communication plan, including marketing and PR, and associated budget.
- Manage PR, including assembling press releases and press kits, responding to press requests, managing special events for press, and providing crisis management.
- Conceive and oversee marketing campaigns using integrated cross-platform strategies, including social media, email lists, direct mail, on-site, and special events.
- Work with the Founder to identify valuable and ethically consistent sponsorship and partnership opportunities.
- Set procedures for donor and sponsor relations, sponsorship and grants management, marketing campaign implementation, and database maintenance with CRM.
- Serve as spokesperson for media and public relations opportunities, industry-group conferences, professional associations, and other public venues.
- Attend local community events and conduct outreach for the organization
- Build relationships with other cultural institutions and arts organizations to find opportunities for collaboration in marketing, programming, or development efforts.
- Analyze reports on press and social impressions, visitor evaluation, market research, and other metrics to offer recommendations that improve Compound’s offering.
- Collaborate with other team members to produce special events, including opening events, fundraising events, and event rentals.
- Partner with the Founder in essential internal leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning).
- Identify best practices and improve internal operating systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Execute special projects and other duties as assigned by the Founder.
- Manage Events and Community Engagement Manager, Marketing and Design Coordinator, and any interns/volunteers.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated success in strategic and business planning and
- Proven fundraising record; experience within a startup or young organization/brand is preferred.
- Knowledge of general consumer marketing strategy, campaign execution, and branding.
- Experience conducting major marketing and communications campaigns and expanding market reach through
- Knowledge of digital engagement, including search engine optimization, pay-per- click advertising, social media, and email campaign management.
- Political, analytical, and negotiation skills required to manage in a fast-paced, complex, energetic, and changing environment. Sound judgment and superior problem-solving ability.
- Excellent strategic and critical-thinking skills: ability to analyze data, capitalize on information, reflect, develop, and implement strategic programming and marketing initiatives and plans.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and listening skills, and the ability to communicate persuasively and dynamically about Compound and its programs.
- Hospitality mindset and ethos that makes potential and existing partners, clients, visitors, staff, and volunteers feel valued and heard.
- Consistent drive and ability to take ideas from vision to implementation.
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for the intersection of contemporary art, culture, community engagement, and wellness, with a specific interest in understanding intersectionality and contemporary social issues.
- Strong time-management skills: well organized and deadline-oriented, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through; able to work both in unstructured and planned environments, and in situations where rapid response and instant decision-making are required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with seven or more years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, communications, hospitality, public relations, or a related field.
- Experience in a hospitality organization, cultural institution and/or a startup is a plus.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include health, dental, and vision.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Long Beach in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We believe that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.