Best Start Region 4 Grant Opportunity
Region 4 Best Start Network Building & Collaboration Grant Program
Request for Proposals 2020
Full Proposal Information & Application Links:
An initiative of First 5 LA, Best Start is working to create the best possible community for young children and their families. Best Start brings together parents, community organizations, institutions, and others to improve policies and resources to better support parents and create a community where children and families can thrive. Best Start also provides skill-building and leadership training to help the group achieve its goals and ensure that children are safe, healthy, and ready to learn.
The purpose of this grant program is to strengthen the collective will within communities, organizations, and systems to promote the safety, healthy development, and well-being for children prenatal to age five and their families across the Best Start Region 4 communities of Central Long Beach and Wilmington. The boundaries of these communities can be found here: https://www.first5la.org/article/best-start-communities-map/
All Best Start Communities have priorities that make up their Community Change Agenda. All network building and collaboration grant requests must align with a minimum of one priority area.
Central Long Beach Priorities:
- Build community knowledge on child development and parenting skills
- Prevent child abuse and neglect
- Increase access to quality and affordable childcare
- Increase access to quality and affordable housing and economic security
- Safety – Increase mobility in Wilmington to create access to safe streets
- Health – Create culturally friendly environments promoting healthy food and mental health
- Environment – Increase available green spaces to improve air quality, reduce trash/bulk and shape the
- Education – Early Access to services for special needs, developmental disabilities for children 0-5 for
successful transitions to kindergarten
- Immigration – Educate and stabilize immigration status for family households to continue to positively
raise their children
In alignment with the Community Change Agenda (CCA), Best Start Network Building Organizational Grants are designed to build lasting engagement, commitment, and sustainability in the Best Start work.
This call for proposals seeks applications for the following funding areas:
Network Building: Qualified non-profit organizations, or groups of organizations will develop a one-year plan to build the network of organizations working in alignment with the CCA.
Collaboration Support: Support of coalitions or collaboratives aligned and complementary to the work of the Best Start Community CCA.
Funding requests ranging from a maximum of $10,000 – $25,000 will be considered.
- Requests for Proposals made available: February 17, 2020
- Grant Program Information Sessions: February 28, 2020 (Long Beach), March 5, 2020 (Wilmington)
- Requests for Proposals due: March 11, 2020
- Grant decisions made: March 31, 2020
- Grant funding period starts: April 1, 2020
You will be informed by email the week of March 30 if your grant has been approved or declined.
- Applicants must have programs operating within the service area of Best Start Region 4
- Applicants must operate without illegal discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
- Events that have a religious or political focus are not eligible.
- All grantees will be required to participate in The Nonprofit Partnership’s systems change evaluation process.
GRANT INFORMATION SESSIONS
There will be one information session in each Best Start Region 4 community. The information session is not mandatory and will not impact your ability to receive funding.
|Central Long Beach
Friday, February 28, 1pm
Long Beach Forward
425 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach CA 90802
Thursday, March 5, 12pm
Providence Wellness & Activity Center
470 Hawaiian Ave.
Wilmington CA 90744
Any questions about this grant can be sent to Christina Hall, Best Start Program Manager by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.