Administrative Assistant (Ground Education)
About Ground Education
At Ground Education, the natural world is our classroom, where we can learn to mutually thrive on the Earth we all share. We are a growing nonprofit with a passion for bringing high-quality, inspiring, nature-based lessons to every elementary student as part of their school day. We currently provide 11 elementary schools and more than 6,000 students in the Long Beach Unified School District with edible and native plant learning gardens and teach hands-on lessons that nurture every student’s academic, physical and emotional well-being.
Come join our team! GroundEd is a fun and growing organization!
We are looking for a passionate, mission-driven Administrative Assistant to join our team in the Long Beach, CA office. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the overall operations of our office, including bookkeeping, HR administration, supply management, and fundraising. The Administrative Assistant represents the organization courteously and professionally in all internal and external communications. The Administrative Assistant will demonstrate a high degree of professionalism, initiative, discretion, judgement, ability to multi-task, and great time management skills.
If you would like to join an up-beat, driven, and fun culture and share our vision to have elementary students exploring, thinking and learning in nature spaces and want to help us organize for growth, we look forward to hearing from you.
● Administrative duties include, but are not limited to answering phones, making copies, negotiating with third party providers, ordering supplies, making reservations, scheduling, creating itineraries, managing contacts, data entry, tracking expenses for reimbursement, and responding to email inquiries.
● Maintain our corporate records electronic filing system.
● Coordinate LBUSD contract administration efforts.
● Maintain and update donor database and support donor communication efforts including acknowledgement letters, holiday letters, and newsletter distribution.
● Maintain lesson supply inventory list and support organization, packing, and restocking of teaching kits.
● Communicate with volunteers and help coordinate community work parties.
● Bookkeeping support includes reconciling monthly billing, expense reconciliation and reimbursement, and assisting with reconciliation of expenses for tax preparation and issuance of 1099s.
● Solicit vendor relationships and discounts.
● Support procurement of uniforms, promotional items, office supplies and possibly lesson items.
● Human Resources support includes data entry of bi-weekly timecards and payroll input, assist with the onboarding of new hires including hiring paperwork, intern paperwork, completing EDD reporting documents, providing payroll data to workers compensation carrier, posting job openings, and additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Successful candidates will:
● Most importantly, be a team player!
● Successfully complete Live Scan fingerprint/background check and TB test.
● Hold an Associate’s degree or equivalent, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
● Have 2+ previous work experience as an Administrative Assistant, prior accounting or bookkeeping experience strongly preferred.
● Have experience or functional knowledge of using QuickBooks Online (preferred).
● Have excellent computer skills – must be proficient using Microsoft Office software and conducting Internet research. Must be able to quickly learn donor management software, payroll software, and Google for Nonprofits.
● Have a professional demeanor and appearance (proper attire).
● Be able to learn quickly and adapt to new situations.
● Possess the ability to multitask, prioritize and complete a high volume of tasks and projects with a great deal of autonomy.
● Have exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to switch gears at a moment’s notice.
● Demonstrate excellent judgment, discretion and sensitivity when dealing with executives and confidential information.
● Maintain a high degree of professionalism in dealing with senior professionals inside and outside the company.
● Make smart and timely decisions; understand when to take ownership of a decision and when to involve other parties.
● React with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround.
● Think ahead and troubleshoot; remove obstacles before they become problems.
● Have impeccable attention to detail.
This position is part time, approximately 15 hours per week. Flexible 15 hour/week schedule, hybrid remote and Long Beach office schedule.
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
At GroundEd we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our services, and our community. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and staff. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, bilingual and bicultural individuals, and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Ground Education is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to compliance with all fair employment practices.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you call us at (562) 682-4703.