Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper (LONG BEACH BLAST)
Job Title: Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper
Reports to: Executive Director
Long Beach BLAST (BLAST) – Better Learning for All Students Today, is a 501 (c)(3) organization based in Long Beach, California. The organization’s mission is to improve the academic and personal success of at-promise youth through collaboration and innovative approaches to mentoring and learning. BLAST focuses on youth in Long Beach, California, and supports, engages, and inspires them to achieve personal and academic success. BLAST works with more than 800 at-promise students per year through two programs: The Academic Mentoring Program and the Bridge to Success Program. Both programs operate under the Long Beach Unified School District academic calendar.
The Administrative Assistant / Bookkeeper will be employed full-time on an average of 40 hours per week, assisting the Executive Director with the overall operations of the office, including budget/finance, administration, and fundraising. This position is responsible for fiscal reporting and provides management of the majority of the administration and clerical support of the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Bookkeeping and Financials
• Oversees Accounts Payable and Receivable. This includes, but is not limited to, payroll, bills, invoices, reimbursements, reconciliations, donations, grants, contributions, etc.
• Provides monthly financial statements to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
• Maintains financial records and documentation for annual audit.
• Maintains and prepares budget and financials for grants.
• Prepares annual budget with the Executive Director and Board Treasurer.
Fund Development Operations
• Tracks and manages grant calendar, and is responsible for deadlines, re-application dates, and other relevant data to be communicated to the Executive Director and Grant Writer.
• Maintains and manages donor and general contact information databases.
• Provides administrative support in managing donor acknowledgment letters, special event sponsorships, sponsorship acknowledgment, and Year-End Letter and Holiday Card to supporters.
• Supports in procurement of auction and opportunity drawing items for special events.
• Day-of-event coordination for special events (Wine BLAST, Long Beach Gives and Breakfast BLAST).
General and Administrative
• Opens mail, logs checks received, and preps mail with Executive Director in congruence with BLAST’s internal control operations.
• Collection and management of human resources files, including hiring paperwork, payroll hours, attendance records, health insurance, and time off requests with Executive Director.
• Orders and maintains office supplies and computer equipment (with AMP Program Manager and Executive Director).
• Assists program staff with their programs, as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
• Experience or functional knowledge of using QuickBooks for non-profits
Skills and/or Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Well organized with the ability to take direction, multi-task, and prioritize work.
• Great computer skills using Microsoft Office software, working with data in software such as payroll software (ADP and Ontheclock), donor databases (Gift Works or Raiser’s Edge), as well as internet researching.
• Must be flexible to work occasional nights and weekends for special events and financial audit.
• Ability to have access to a reliable computer (with a microphone and video communication capabilities) and internet access. To be provided by Long Beach BLAST, as needed.
• Ability to work occasionally in office for specific financial and administrative tasks under current BLAST office safety work protocol.
• Ability to pass a background check and TB test
• Reliable transportation and proof of insurance required.
• Personal qualities that include integrity, commitment to Long Beach BLAST’s mission, and respect for diversity.
Long Beach BLAST offers various traditional benefits outlined below in addition to various team building and professional development opportunities.
Health Insurance: The current, standard company medical insurance coverage will be provided per company policy. The current policy is outlined below. Long Beach BLAST covers health insurance cost for its employees at the following percentages:
• 80% of health insurance cost for employees
• 20% of health insurance cost for its employee’s spouse/domestic partners, and
• 0% of health insurance cost for employee’s dependent(s)
Paid Time Off – Vacation & Sick Pay: In accordance with company policy, vacation will be accrued at 6.6 hours per month, and sick time will be accrued at 8 hours per month.
Paid holidays include: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving (2 Days) and Winter Break (7 days).
Environmental Conditions: Office environment; exposure to computer screens, noise; extensive contact with staff, faculty, partners, and students, as well as donors and potential donors.
*Due to the current state of health in the City of Long Beach and Los Angeles County, workspace is primarily virtual/remote indefinitely, but position does require some occasional inoffice work to process checks, financials, and store sensitive files.
Physical Conditions: Essential functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing and walking for extended periods of time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Compensation: $18.50 / hour
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to:
Long Beach BLAST Hiring Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to Apply: June 25, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Long Beach BLAST‐Better Learning for All Students Today‐ is an equal opportunity employer.