Accounting Specialist (The Guidance Center)
Title: Accounting Specialist
Program: Administrative Offices
Location: Long Beach
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
This position is a key member of the finance department and takes a lead role in areas of Payroll, Accounts Payable, as well as other finance activities including generating reports and supporting and partnering with the finance team on identified projects. This position must work closely and productively with internal and external teams including key partners such as Department of Mental Health, TGC Program teams, TGC Human Resources, etc.
Knowledgeable of and possess the ability to learn and adhere to the prevailing governmental laws as well as regulations regarding, wage and hour laws, employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof including compliance with HIPAA, federal and state laws. Must stay abreast of changing employment laws as it relates to wage and hour changes.
It is important that the individual maintains proficiency in the designated field of employment through continued education, attending and participating on committees as requested and in job-related seminars, workshops, and webinars. Participation is also required in program-specific and agency-wide meetings, including staff meetings and retreats/trainings.
Regular attendance is an important factor in employee’s job performance in order for The Guidance Center to maintain efficient operations. When employees are absent, schedules and commitments fall behind, and other employees may need to assume added workloads. Employees are expected to report to work as scheduled and on time.
B.A. degree preferred and 2-3 years prior work experience in accounting and general business practices. Must be computer literate with 3-4 years in payroll processing using computerized software (e.g., Paychex) and spreadsheet programs. Must have intermediate skills in using Paychex and must have thorough understanding of CA Wage and Hour laws. Strong clerical and numerical skills are required, as well as good verbal and written command of English. Must understand and maintain employee confidentiality and exercise a common sense of understanding in carrying out directions and/or instructions, both written and oral, and in their handling of routine, problems/situations.
Must have vehicle and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance, or other reliable transportation to travel to cities in Long Beach, San Pedro, Compton, or other areas in which the Center has business.
Computer literate in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook. May be required to posses or learn, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access or related database management software.
a. Maintain employee payroll database using computerized payroll system. Input and or audit information regarding new hires, terminations and changes in hours, rates of pay or other status. Ensure entries regarding deductions for taxes, group insurance, cafeteria plan, 403(b) plan; garnishments, etc. are accurate and current.
b. Enter semi-monthly payroll into payroll system for transmission to payroll service. Ensure accuracy of hours and wages paid. Maintain up-to-date hours for vacation and sick time accrual and taken. Ensure employee time sheets are correct and properly signed. Transmit to the payroll service by the required deadlines to ensure employees are paid on schedule.
c. Issue manual payroll check(s) through the system as authorized. Manual payroll checks are typically done for employees leaving the agency, and are outside the timeframe of normal payroll processing. Maintain employee time-sheet files and other payroll files. Audit and review checks and payroll reports returned from the service for accuracy and completeness before releasing the checks for signature.
d. Stays current with all wage and hour laws and processes payroll within those guidelines. Attends trainings as needed.
e. Coordinate with Human Resources, the payroll service and the Flex Plan claims consultant as needed.
- Process Accounts Payable, post invoices and get approval.
- Maintain files and computerized records of checks and cash received and code to the appropriate accounts. Endorse all checks immediately and maintain security of receipts until deposited. Prepare bank deposits per the cash receipts procedures and produce regular cash receipt for monitoring and management.
- Maintain all Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and payroll files, as well as depositing checks received.
- Assist the finance department in maintaining allocations of billable hours for the annual cost report process.
- Produce regular reports for cash receipt, 403b contributions, payroll notification, and other reports from ERS as directed.
- Monthly close of Accounts Payable in Sage.
- Assist with Department of Mental Health reporting including, but not limited to, semi-annual Service Delivery Plans.
- This position is also responsible for leading and assisting projects assigned by the CFO as well periodic vendor communication as directed.
- May be asked to deliver or pick-up important documents from/to other agencies in the greater Long Beach/downtown Los Angeles area.
- Knowledgeable of, or possess the ability to learn and adhere to the prevailing governmental laws and regulations regarding employee/patient’s rights to confidentiality and limits thereof including compliance with HIPAA, federal and state laws.
- Attends and participates on committees as requested and in job-related seminars, workshops, and webinars as required to maintain proficiency in designated field of employment. Participation is also required in program specific and Center-wide meetings, including staff meetings and retreats/trainings. As a member of The Guidance Center, there is also a requirement to keep abreast if HIPAA security rules, and relevant regulatory body’s administrative, physical, technical, and security guidelines and laws as relevant to scope of responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While this position commonly entails 60-75% sitting and the remaining time standing or walking, the following physical demands could be associated with this position: Lifting or carrying up to 30 pounds. Using cart/dolly for pushing or pulling up to 30 pounds (i.e. boxes of brochures, supplies, and cases copy paper) Stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing or reaching.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
Spends 60-75% of the time sitting
Occasionally lifts, carries, push, or pulls up to 30 lbs.
Occasionally stoops, kneels, balances, reaches, crawls, and crouches, climbing or reaching
Constant use of eye, hand, and finger coordination
Frequent use of computer (keyboarding) and office telephone equipment is a requirement of this position.
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 35% of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 50% and 65% of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 65% of the time.
The above duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or marginal duties that may be required. The Guidance Center reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.